Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Global Communication 14:31

This is one of those pivotal tracks in my musical education - a gateway to The Orb, Future Sound of London, Aphex Twin's SAW II and a whole slew of ambient, electronic music and eventually, drone and noise music.

I first heard it, credited to Mystic Institute and titled "Ob-Selon-Mi-Nos (Re-Painted by Global Communication)", on a fantastic compilation which did the rounds back in the day - Narcosis: A Journey Through The Outs And Ins Of Underground. The compilation was split in two - bangers made up one half and chillers the other. I must have had a 100th generation copy of that compilation. (When I found a CD copy, I was initially disappointed that it lacked the warmth -no tape hiss!- and that the tracks were noticeably faster!)

The ticking of the clock throughout the track and crashing waves reminds me of Neu!'s "Leb' Wohl".



No comments:

Post a Comment